Sunday, January 1, 2012

{Goodbye, Two-Thousand-Eleven}

Going into a new year there is so much on one's mind...


I know as a photographer - and this being a time for me to slow down a bit during the winter, I am able to reflect on what I accomplished last year. My successes and failures of 2011. I have a minute to think about how I can grow this year. How I grew last. What ways I can reinvent me this year. 


2011 was an incredible year for me in this business. I am so thankful for the amazing people that entered my life because of this job! I made some awesometastic new friends. {And yes, friends who added that word I just used to my vocabulary and thereby make me cool.}


When I left my full time job in May of 2010 - I had hopes of being able to "just get by" in this over-saturated industry. There are many photographers today. It's an amazing job, I have to agree with them! I just hoped to be one of them, paying my bills but mostly... filling my heart with what it loves. 


But I have been completely blindsided by how amazing His plans continue to be for me. If I am being completely transparent... I don't feel like some days I deserve any success because I fail daily as person. As a daughter. As a wife. As a mom. As a friend. I am imperfect. Undeservingly as it is, last year was incredible. More successful in my business than I had anticipated or imagined - atleast so early as to going into this job full time. There were times when I was completely overwhelmed with work to the point where I realized I needed to take less. I think photographers tend to learn that the hard way their first two years full-time in business. It was definitely easier to say photography was my hobby for 6+ years. So much more to juggle when it becomes your full time occupation.


In 2011 I made some amazing new friends and clients. I opened a small boutique studio in my hometown. I gained an INCREDIBLE intern, Ashley. I really found my niche in my style. I participated in a 365 project that was personal for me and such an inspiration and journey. I took some steps on a journey and made some progress, I have many steps to go... but I am happy where I am. 


Today I was reminded of some things...


God is so forgiving and the way that He loves us is sometimes something we as humans can't even comprehend. His blessings too are sometimes hard to comprehend. Why does He do so much for us? Not to say that I haven't asked the tough questions in opposition... "Why didn't He change this situation?" or "Why did He take her home?" Every year there is bitter and sweet. Give and take. So we take them both, without question - only faith.. and with a thankful and humble heart say thank you. Because in reality, the day itself - is a gift. And of course - though we are content and He is our portion, we continue seek His favor. His blessing on a New Year.


Blessing is revocable though. Which is why I never want to take it for granted. And success - as amazing and exhilarating as it is can kill you. Success - once obtained - has ruined far more people than failure. Success can make you forget where you came from. It can blind you to the amazing thing that humility is. Failure however, reminds you without your asking. Failure reminds you of where you came from. But it also reminds you of where you are going. Because tomorrow is a new day. A new chance to tell failure that he was so "yesterday".


God help me to always be humble and remember my failures of yesterday and last year so that I know success today and this year - if any - comes only through You. 


As for 2012...
I am exited about a new year. Another year in business! Another year of fun projects:  My Flickr® 365 Project and a recent 52 Project with the Photographers of Northern Indiana on Facebook.  I am also super excited about sharing my new website. It's coming soon! Woot, woot! I am beyond stoked about the weddings I've booked - I have some INCREDIBLE brides this year and am anticipating the new friends and clients I have yet to meet in this business. I am excited about what I will learn this year in this ever-evolving industry. 


In shooting for the past 8+ years I have decided too that this is the year that I will try to narrow my market a bit to the following three categories: Weddings, Seniors & Babies. Not that I won't still shoot other things, I absolutely will. But not as much. I want to take more time to focus on the aforementioned three. Simply because those are the things I am feeling called to most right now. I have a passion for shooting families too - and will continue to book a very limited amount of regular family sessions per month. I will not be taking any family sessions in June or July however. Instead, I will offer 4-6 days a year that I book family mini-sessions using my vintage couch. The cost will be lower than a normal hour long family session, will be less time and photos - but perfect for the creative way to update the yearly family photo for Christmas and the walls. I will also periodically offer boudoir specials just to keep me on my toes with creativity in work.


So in all that is said... I am thankful for the success of this year. I realize that none of it comes through me. Any talent that I have or will ever have comes not from me but Him. I never want to take that for granted or get ahead of myself to attribute any accolades or success to me. He gave me this opportunity and I just want to continue to do what I love, thankfully.


Coffee mugs raised: Here's to 2012! It's gonna be a good year.