Monday, January 2, 2012

{New Website for 2012!}

For the last few months my website has been a temporary site through Zenfolio.com. Which wasn't so bad. I really love the fact that by having a Zenfolio site I can archive my hi-res files to cloud storage. :) The website end of it however didn't have quite enough kick for me, which is why I chose to host through bludomain.com. I used the template AVERY and LOVE it! Bludomain was super easy to navigate and I am really happy with the results. Cost at the end of the year? $200.

I do want to give my former website hosting: Photobiz.com a huge shout out. I hosted though them for many, many years and will miss their tremendous customer service. They are unparalleled in their customer care - but for me the choice was simple when I saw the savings I'd gain each year by using Blu. Because I host a lot of images in my galleries and in general with weddings, I save hundreds in the end.

It took me about 3 days to really get everything together for the site. Sorting images and sizing being the most time consuming. I am glad I don't have to update for atleast six months. It's been a yearly project every January pretty much so I may not make it back to updating my portfolio till next January. :)

In all honesty I could probably run a business {as many photographers do already} with just using a blog and Facebook. So why the portfolio? For me with being in an artistic background and feeling the need to have a place for my favorite photos to reside - it's just a mandatory thing and an important part of branding. The website says a lot about the artist - from the music to the overall look. A blog allows your clients to read about you and really get to know more of who you are.. but to me a website is important for representation in who you are and what you craft. Whereas you speak for you on a blog - your portfolio speaks for you on a website.


Also of huge importance to me is the ability to host a website that allows a tribute to my belated sister. If Jess were still with us today - though I wish it with all my heart - I may not have pushed myself as far with photography. Truth be told I'd probably still be sitting in an 8x8 office with no windows pushing papers for sales managers. As much as I hated losing my sister, that pain pushed me to succeed. And I'm proud of how hard I've worked the last two years. The ability to honor her and tell her story - the story of why life is SO valuable and each day such a gift... it's monumental to me. It's the reason I do this. My entire site, down to the logo itself all reflects my love for her and my love and gratefulness for life.

So in summary... I'm quite pleased with the new site. :)

You can see the flash version here:
www.josephineyphotography.com

At some point I hope to also have an HTML version, but one step at a time for today.