Wednesday, January 11, 2012

{Justin & Ashley's Wedding | 11.19.11 | Fort Wayne, IN}

It's hard to know where to start with this amazing couple and their families. When I got the call from Ashley back in the summer of 2011 she was planning a November 2011 wedding. Some of my brides do book me on shorter notice, but most book about a year or so out. I did ask her for some info about her wedding, etc. She then explained to me why things were on shorter notice. She told me through tears that her Dad had brain cancer and they were wanting to plan the wedding for November so he could walk her down the aisle. 

I say it all the time. And it's so true...
Every day is a gift. 

Of course, my heart went out to her. And I was more than willing to accommodate being able to shoot their wedding. Ashley, like her dad and the rest of her family is a strong individual. She didn't want sympathy. Just good photographs on her wedding day... and specifically some of her and her dad, Stan. What's neat is that Stan pastors the church that Ashley was married in... it was a very special day.  Both such beautiful families on each side.

I hadn't met Ashley and Justin before their day because of the shorter booking - so I was touched by how sweet they are - such a beautiful, in love, gorgeous couple. So much emotion is tied into a typical wedding day. Anytime someone's little girl is getting married... emotions just naturally run high. But combine that with the fact that this family had gone through a LOT in the last year. Stan had brain surgery to remove any cancer and was undergoing chemo treatments... and through it all was still positive, encouraging and so very thankful. You can read his journal and journey here on his caring bridge blog and also here on his personal blog. Just an incredible, incredible testimony to faith during hardships. What a beautiful picture it is of trust during the storms of life. He knows the plans He has for us. { Jer. 29:11} From my understanding, Stan has done very well with his treatments and surgery and has shown very positive progression. Please continue to pray for him and his family. Cancer is a scary thing no matter. I loved what Stan said on one of his blogs though: My Big "C" is still Christ!  (Cancer is a "little C")

I have to say, watching Ashley's dad walk her down the aisle, even for me was such a touching moment. I've been lucky to photograph many brides walking down the aisle. This was different though. At one point they looked at each other and smiled. I feel so lucky to have caught that one second because I know it showed so much of how proud and thankful Stan was to be walking his daughter down the aisle. Such a beautiful, tender moment. Beautiful ceremony - Stan spoke a few words and prayed over Justin and Ashley - I think more than a few people were touched to tears during that prayer. Many times I don't shut my eyes when I am shooting during prayer b/c I am photographing people as they pray. Observing the emotion on Ashley's face as her dad prayed over her and her new husband on her wedding day, that alone made me cry. You could see how thankful she was that her Daddy was there, on that day, blessing one of the most important life-changing promises she will ever make. 

This is when - and I've done it many times before - I stood back in moment of complete personal silence and realized that I have one of the most incredibly, emotionally touching jobs in the world. I watch tender, raw, real moments unfold. And then I photograph them. So many things contribute and lead up to that one emotional moment. And there I am at the end to catch it. That I am even privy to it, is such an HONOR and incredible blessing.  

The day was perfect - really couldn't have asked for a better November day for a wedding. Weather was cooperative. Beautiful light. Beautiful location on a golf course to get some fun shots as well as gorgeous shots in a tree-lined drive. An awesome, beautiful wedding party to work with, I certainly couldn't complain. Perfection all the way to and through the reception. It was a packed reception, food was awesome and Justin and Ashley made cake-cutting adorably perfected. I have to say, again - knowing the situation with Ashley's family and her dad - was hard not to be emotionally touched yet again by their father/daughter dance. So many times they would just look at each other and laugh. Just adorable. There is something SO special about a Dad and his Daughter. He instills so much in her and up till that day he gives her away, he is showing her what to seek in a future husband. No doubt Justin loves Ashley and will treat her wonderful. The new Mr. & Mrs. were a riot on the dance floor together. I enjoyed watching them break out their moves. They were clearly having a blast. So important to just have fun together. Later on Ashley, her dad and her sister were all busting out some moves on the dance floor. I love to see a Dad dance with his daughters. That was one of the cutest things I have ever seen. They all had the moves too! 

Thank you Justin and Ashley  - and to both of your amazing families for being SO wonderful to work with. Stan, I am incredibly touched by your story, your strength and kindness - but most of all your faith. God bless your families. 

Thank you for allowing me to be a very small part of your day.