Friday, October 15, 2010

{A little Walt Whitman}

I love poems. I rarely have time to read works from favorite poets any more or write poems myself but every now and then I think about the artistry that can come from the assembly of words. I used to believe I could work a little poetry - not necessarily a poet. Poetry is so personal, so enigmatic sometimes. It's really a window into the writer's mind, heart and soul. Different medium, same result... art and expression. I love this poem below b/c it's simple. Replacing clammering, confusion, crowding and collecting with silence, simplicity, solitude and stars. And in laymen's terms - although it needs no explanation - it is really saying, put all of the complexities aside and follow that which you know is true. Sometimes all the knowledge in the world can't replace sight.



When I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer

  by: Walt Whitman (1819-1892)


When I heard the learn'd astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much
applause in the lecture-room,
How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wander'd off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look'd up in perfect silence at the 
stars.