Tuesday, September 7, 2010

{Long weekends & lost teeth}

My baby is getting older. She's almost too heavy to carry up the stairs. She's got her own sense of humor and sarcasm. She's smart. She wears perfume and earrings and totally digs cute purses. She is her momma's girl.

It's a big deal when you lose one front tooth, let alone BOTH of them in the same night. She lost both teeth this last weekend when Great-Grandpa was tickling her and calling her "Susie Bell" as he so often does. I wasn't there. I had a session and I admit, I was sort of heart-broken when she came up to me with a big grin when they got home that night and said, "Momma, look - I'm a vampire." No parent wants to miss out on such moments, but that's life ... and it happens. Daddy taught her how to ride her bike - I was taking photos. Not that I am complaining - I love my job. My job brings me closer to my kids. I just hate how fast life is going and how moments slip away without you even knowing they were there.

There is a book that I bought with my dear friend Vincy when we went on a cruise a few years ago. It's called "Let Me Hold You Longer" by Karen Kingsbury. I can NOT read that book - not even once, I have tried trust me - and NOT cry my eyes out. The kids laugh at me and ASK me to read it to them for that reason b/c they think it's comical to watch me try, and I mean really try not to cry... but about half way in, it gets me every time - here are some of the lines....

"The last time that I held a bottle 
to your baby lips.
The last time that I lifted you
and held you on my hip."

"Your last few hours of Kindergarten,
those last days of first grade, 
Your last at bat in Little League,
last colored picture made."

"I never said goodbye to all 
your yesterdays long passed.
So what about tomorrow - 
Will I recognize your lasts?"

"The last time that I helped you with 
a math or spelling test.
The last time when I shout that yes,
your room is STILL a mess!"

" My life keeps moving faster,
stealing precious days that pass.
I want to hold on longer - 
want to recognize your lasts... "


This book just kills me!! But I love it so much and if you have children you will relate to it. And probably cry too like me. :) Out of being busy and life being hectic there have been times that I have blown them off and just nodded yes to whatever they were saying... but all too often I need to realize that soon they won't say much, they'll just head up to their rooms and before I know it, the rooms are empty and they are starting their own lives. It goes so fast. I just want to be thankful for each moment. Moments I miss - Moments I am there for. They are all so special. Two teeth in one night? That's pretty dog-gone special. Her saying "applesauce" with those two teeth missing? Even more special.