Thursday, November 11, 2010

{Thankful Thursday}

I am going to blog this ... and then I'm going to bed.
Sooooo tired tonight. Too much coffee and not enough water I think is running me down.

I'm managing tho, always do.

And I'm excited about tomorrow. Time in Chicago with two ladies I love to laugh with... a lot.
Met them both in college - my Freshman year. But you can't understand our college experience unless you were there. Atypical doesn't even describe it. Alcatraz though - that's a better word. Private, religious college with a) chaperoned dates b) no physical contact b/t guys and girls... seriously do not bump into your boyfriend or look at him too long unless you want some nerdy kid with a spiral notepad that just happens to be in his pocket, Bic attached - asking you for your name. Adrian and I used to joke that people in the dating commons were busy making "eye babies" before they got wrote up. Seriously people? Get a room!! Or don't, haha. EXCOMMUNICATED & SHUNNED! c) separate sidewalks at night for guys and girls. d) skirts 24/7. Oh yeaaaaaaahhh. Save your jeans kids. The only place you'll need those are in HELL!  Lol. No. I really am not joking. Don't worry, I won't mention your name Pensacola Christian College or that the Florida "Panhandle" will never be a Kaser family travel destination because of my wonderful year with you.


You know, I might be a little bit on the antagonistic side tonight. But this is my blog. :)

I was an overall good kid in HS. Really, I got good grades, stayed outta trouble for the most part and kept to myself. I had more freedom in HS tho. I literally began to resent the tyrannical rule of this college. WWJD? - I'm not so sure that it was all this. But Adrian jokingly grabbing my right butt cheek in the cafeteria dinner line had me fearing for more than "Off w/ her head!" I was certain he'd get us kicked out. He likes to entertain such notions. He is a renegade, no doubt. I still think it's sorta hot.


Most of my high-school friends were going to PCC. As did I. But after a year of those shenanigans, I realized that PCC wasn't for me and I transferred all of my credits back home. Because of that choice my financial backing changed and so I had to get loans. Loans that are finally just about paid off. I'm not going to argue this - but there's something to be said about appreciating what YOU had to pay for. And I do appreciate my Bachelor of Arts degree, thank you Indiana University.


I will not determine what I help my kids with financially for college based on the college that they to go to.  {Provided that they are not planning to study a 4 year course for "Underwater Basket Weaving" or similar at some wacked out college.} Part of graduating and taking that step out into the world - can include a secular college as part of the plan. But most importantly - it includes a choice and the groundwork that is laid by learning to start making good choices.


At some point - you're gonna have to live in the real world. You don't have to be of it. But you're gonna live in it.

Wow chatty Kathy - back to the subject: James and Marth (aka, Jamie and Martha - college friends for life) Both of these women have meant the world to me. Friends for well over what 16 years now? Girls we are getting old. :) Oh the days...

  • When we used to throw our dirty q-tips at the dorm door across the hall. K, I did that.
  • When Kev and Adrian dressed up as security guards and busted like 4 girls for "skirts to short". Literally wrote them up! Lol.
  • When we used to sneak my sister in the dorm overnight when she visited. Oh Jessy. What fun memories.
  • When I got reprimanded for wearing something not modest enough to prayer group. K, it was silk and down to my ankles! But.. alas, my shoulders WERE showing! Lol. I do have some hot shoulders. Do swoon all-girl's dorm.
  • When we used to show up to prayer meeting w/ pantyhose on our head. K, yeah, I did that too.
  • When we used to squirt people trying to get on the elevators and across the street with supersoakers and get called up to the Dean's office. Lol. It's all me.
  • When we'd all go to the mall and get stared down by normal kids wearing normal non-skirt-I-totally-just-pulled-outta-PCC clothing. Little did PCC know though that we clocked out on that tracking computer as having been at "Taco Bell, 5886 South Padre Ave. location" Oh yeah. It was like that. You leave? Your clocking out and listing WHICH Taco Hell you are headed to.
Do I sound bitter? :) I'm not.. it was part of the journey. Ultimately it became my choice to go there. But it was also my choice to leave. :)


All the memories of bad biscuits and soy burgers, chapel every stinkin' morning, sunburns, baby "ol", clogged toilets, singing in the shower, clothes borrowed, chocolate chip cookies from the Palms Grille and laughter. Soooo much laughter. And because of that year, I have made friendships that have endured through the years. That one year I went to a college I didn't really end up liking too well produced some of the most treasured friendships I have. 16 years > 1.

So.. thankful tonight for paths we start out on trying to make others happy - and ourselves happy too - finding it that even though it didn't work out, there was purpose in it. And that one year of lockdown (literally) exchanged itself with life-long friendships. No question it was worth it. 


Thankful. Maybe not for the factors, but definitely for the the sum of the equation.