Wednesday, November 17, 2010

{The Old Chair}

The song "The Old Chair" written by David Gray, completely intrigues me.

Here's David's own words about this song:

Here is the video to the full song if you'd like to hear it:

Well, I am intrigued by David Gray and nostalgia in general. But I really, truly believe he above other artists has a certain gifting when it comes to expressing greater life in his music. Deeper life. Old life, new life. He's just ... deeper. He writes about things that most overlook. Like... the elderly.

We'll all get there someday... you know. It makes me contemplate the journey a little more today.


He has written, actually two songs (that I'm aware of) on his new album, Foundling about elderly. But I suppose you can make them applicable to different things.. but when he wrote them, that was his focus. And his other song about the elderly called "Forgetting" but I will blog about that in another post. There's.. again.. just too much in it I want to say about it - so another time. 

I think his music is beautiful. Touching. Harrowing. Honest. Gut-wrenchingly painful at times, but mostly ... ethereally haunting.

I am buried in work right now. Like life at a young stage.. we're all buried in "busy". And like seasons in life.. they start out bustling and new and then over time.. they slow, wax and wane. Winter will bring some solitude and quiet for me. I anticipate it. Winter in the season of life, I'm not sure that I truly anticipate. Do many? Do we anticipate the final season unless we just want to go home to be with our loved ones that went before us? That kind of solitude and quiet is saddening to me. But how many in that season of life's winter... experience spring. I think the parallels of life to the seasons are just completely captivating.

I am obviously over-fascinated trying to say all of the words in my heart about this subject of aging. A few flow out but it's never enough to satiate all that I feel. As it is with most things I feel - I'm usually overwhelmed when I feel deeply about anything. And this subtle but therapeutic form of written release is somewhat medicinal. What else is there really in lesson and learned but sharing that which we are touched by?


I just know that I have a Grandmother that is dear to me. Beyond dear. I have a passion and natural attachment to nostalgia, memory and things of long-ago. I am moved by this song. In hearing it, I am provoked to be more loving, to be loved more and care for those who are responsible for my own opportunity to even be on this earth. How the elderly are forgotten and under-appreciated and looked at as a burden is beyond me. We owe them so much. I know we're all busy. I know, trust me. But if you have someone you love that is older today, call them and tell them so. Their days like ours are numbered, but.. predictably less. Let them know they are revered.


{This was an old chair from my mom. It was once upholstered in a mustard yellow gold color. I sat in it chair as a girl. Time out probably. She gave it to me when I got married, reupholstered. Family heirlooms are so important. But your legacy to your kids of you.. is even more so.}