Monday, January 17, 2011

{A favorite... dish}

I am not a health nut. Though, I wish I was. Ironically - I have a liking *by luck, trust me* for one of the healthiest foods ever... that of the Mediterranean diet. Fresh, healthy foods - mainly fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, fish, yogurt and *drum roll* EVOO! Mediterranean people use olive oil in almost everything they eat! And it's so good for you! And of course seasonings of lemon, garlic, oregano, sumac, etc. Simple and fresh and really, really fantastic.

I got hooked on this food years ago when I frequented a local restaurant called, Elias. Seriously fabulous food. If you go in, tell the owner Helen that Joanne says hi! I don't make it out there as much b/c I've moved but it's fantastic. Dishes like tabouli, baba ganouche, hummus, falafel and shish tawouk are some of my very favorites.

I eat this dish/platter a lot below b/c it's simple to make and well, it's absolutely delicious. But again, that could just be my opinion. :) Shown are pita with hummus and pine nuts and a salad which includes tomato, cucumber, kalamata olives topped with pine nuts, fresh mint, sea salt, pepper, lime juice and garlic EVOO. The dressing that I typically make for these kind of salads usually includes more spices like oregano and sumac.

And.. another favorite also shown, sliced key lime in ice water with one packet of Truvia.




Seriously, I love to photograph my food. And even better, I get to eat it. :) I'm thinking there's gonna be an upcoming blog showing all of my food pix. Hmmm.. maybe I need a category altogether for food.