Thursday, February 9, 2012

{Full Moon}



I photographed the moon lastnight.


I stood out in the alley behind my house by myself with my zoom and focused on the bright moon. After I took a few shots I stood out there and just looked at the sky. It was such a beautiful night. I love looking at the stars. I could totally be one of those people to lay in the grass and just look at the stars for hours on a hot summer night. I think there's something incredibly holistic about taking in the night sky. Since high school I've claimed the farthest star on Orion's belt as mine. I'm sure it's actually someone else's - but I always look for it in the sky as if it belongs to me. And when I find it I smile and say, "that's my star!"


I found this quote to go with my photo and I fell in love with it. Kind of goes along with everything I wrote above. The glow of the moon in your room and your appreciation of it, or lack there of will determine a lot about you. Taking in the little things in life and appreciating them matters so much.


My daughter has been studying space. She keeps telling me all of these amazingly interesting facts about the moon, the planets and our incredible solar system. Which... gets me thinking about space. How infinite it is. What is really out there? What do all of those stars represent? What is this talk of monuments and obelisks on the moon??? {Says the girl who loves Egyptian history}


I found this interesting fact online about the moon....


Our moon is the only moon in the solar system that has a stationary, near-perfect circular orbit. Stranger still, the moon’s center of mass is about 6000 feet closer to the Earth than its geometric center (which should cause wobbling), but the moon’s bulge is on the far side of the moon, away from the Earth. "Something" had to put the moon in orbit with its precise altitude, course, and speed. How does one explain the "coincidence" that the moon is just the right distance, coupled with just the right diameter, to completely cover the sun during an eclipse? Again, Isaac Asimov responds,
"There is no astronomical reason why the moon and the sun should fit so well. It is the sheerest of coincidences, and only the Earth among all the planets is blessed in this fashion."
It's no coincidence. No reason must mean there was an intent of some sort that we do not understand. It means it was created to be so. That is what I believe atleast. 


Anyway, there's just something about the moon that reaffirms our existence while we are yet here. It's beautifully mysterious and haunting... and I wish I spent more time gazing at it.