Friday, June 24, 2011

{Food Friday | 6.24.11}

I am excited to announce that on FRIDAYs I will be *trying* to consistently blog a Food Friday theme.

Those of you who know me personally KNOW I love food. I love to cook, bake and eat. OH, and I LOVE to photograph my food too. :) It's just fun. So, for those of you who have enjoyed my food pictures on Facebook over the years... I will now be posting something each Friday along with the recipe!

These will be traditional dishes from my family, favorites and/or new things I'd like to try!

If you enjoy photographing food too here are a few tips to help you get great food shots:


  • Photograph your food while it's steaming - most often it'll represent that the food is hot and fresh, ready to eat! Talk about making mouths salivate!
  • Photograph your food by a window. Using natural daylight will provide the most flattering light on your food as incandescent lighting will alter the white balance of your photo making it look orange - if you have shot the file in RAW you can correct this later, but I usually try to avoid it. 
  • Photograph your food (if you have it) with a good lens. For starters, those of you who have interchangeable lens capabilities on your camera can find a nice 50mm 1.8 for right around a hundred bucks. This lens will offer so much for you if you are just starting out and enjoying shooting portraits and food! Most of my food photos are shot with my 24-70mm f/2.8
  • Place your food on a clean surface - lay a table cloth down if it makes the image better. Make sure there aren't too many distractions - focus should be on the yummy food!

Obviously I am no food expert. BUT I love food and often when I post food photos people ask for the recipe so I think this is a great place to share my love for food AND photography. :)